There are many reasons to have your windshield replaced but many drivers put it off until it shatters. Then it is a hazard for the driver and the passengers. There are some good auto glass replacement reasons.
The Purpose of Your Windshield
- Your windshield does more than just look help you view the road. It acts as a backstop for your air bags. Incorrect deployment of your air bags puts your and your passengers at risk.
- It also keeps your roof from collapsing. Many people don’t realize that the windshield provides the car’s structural strength. In a roll-over crash, a cheap windshield can cause your roof to collapse, which can be life-threatening.
- It can prevent ejection of passengers in a crash. Your windshield can also keep you from being ejected from the vehicle in a case of a collision.
Once you make the decision to have your windshield replaced, what questions should you know about the windshield replacement company.
- The Qualifications of the Technicians – The technicians should be highly trained, experienced and knowledgeable of the whole process. Check their reputation.
- The Adhesive is Important – OEM glass is safer, sturdier and less prone to cracking. Low-quality adhesives do not work as well, especially in wet or cold climates and can take longer to dry/cure.
- How soon you can drive after installation – We are all busy and usually don’t have the time to sit waiting for a new windshield to be installed. Mobile windshield replacement service is convenient but it’s dangerous to drive the car before it’s ready. This is known as “safe drive away time”. Question your provider to take the proper precaution.
- Warranty – If the auto glass replacement company offers a lifetime warranty, you can almost assume they’re using OEM glass, which is high quality.
Replace or Repair
In some cases, windshield replacement may not be necessary – only a repair may be needed. A good rule of thumb is that if a quarter can cover the crack, a repair may work instead of a full replacement. Even even that is true, if the crack is at the edge of the glass or if the crack is in the driver’s line of vision, a full replacement will be recommended for safety.