Wearing seatbelts saves lives
Car safety is important. Motor vehicle deaths are the major cause of death in the first three decades of an American’s life. By wearing seat belts and buckling children into age and size appropriate car seats and booster seats, people can reduce the risk of serious injury and death by half. Most drivers do follow the safety measures but there are still millions who don’t. This is a primary enforcement for seat belt violations, which means that a driver can be pulled over and sited just for not wearing a seat belt.
Certain strategies have been put in place to TRY to increase seat belt use.
- Laws have allowed officers to stop and ticket someone for not buckling up. Some states only allow officers to give tickets when they have pulled the driver over for something else.
- Increased penalties can be given resulting in higher fines or points on a driver’s license.
- High-visibility enforcement – Combining law enforcement and media coverage is effective for reaching people who don’t use seat belts regularly such as men, teens, and young adults.
- Programs are conducted at night to target people when seat belt use is the lowest and crashes are the highest.
Certain strategies can increase car seat and booster seat use
- Child restraint laws require children riding in a car to use approved devices appropriate for their age.
- Effective programs can help advertise car seat and seat belt use.
- Distribution of car seats through giveaways or low cost rentals.
- Incentive programs with coupons or prizes reward parents for correctly using car seats.
- Among drivers and front-seat passengers, seat beltsreduce the risk of death by 45%, and cut the risk of serious injury by 50%.
- Seat belts prevent drivers and passengers from being ejected during a crash.
- People not wearinga seat belt are 30 times more likely to be ejected from a vehicle during a crash.
Seat belts protect people from needless death and injury. People are in a hurry, distracted, and simply forget. Many people don’t wear their seat belts, and thousands die as a result. BE SAFE AND BUCKLE UP!